Roofing projects are a significant investment, so it makes sense to ask for a roofing estimate or a detailed breakdown of the costs. However, what exactly should be included in an estimate? Carney Roofing Company, one of the state’s top commercial roofing contractors, lists the essential details below.
Basic Details in an Estimate
- Material costs – The costs of roofing materials vary depending on the location, so it’s not unusual to notice differences in costs when comparing estimates. Info regarding the type and brand of the materials used should be included to justify the costs.
- Labor costs – Any reputable full service roofing company should always include a detailed breakdown of labor costs in the estimate. Remember: The more detailed an estimate, the better.
- Other costs – Aside from the material and labor costs, a contractor might include other charges, such as the removal of the roof debris, the transportation cost of moving the dumpster to be used for storing construction waste, and the costs for acquiring a construction permit.
- Payment information – A roofing estimate should also include the due dates for the payments as well as the accepted payment methods.
- Project timeline – In addition to the costs of the project, an estimate should include a project timeline outlining the responsibilities of the contractor.
Important Things to Remember
Before a contractor can give you an estimate, a contractor should inspect your home first. An inspection will give them an idea on how much your roofing project will cost. Keep in mind that an estimate is just an approximation of the costs, and as such, incurring a few unforeseen costs wouldn’t be unusual. In the case of a complete roof tear-off, for instance, a contractor might notice signs of rot in the decking and will probably need to replace it. No need to worry though—minor issues won’t affect the total too much.
It’s natural to be quite particular about the costs of your roofing project, but you shouldn’t get too preoccupied with the costs. Remember: When it comes to home improvement projects, cheaper isn’t necessarily better. Using quality materials and hiring experienced contractors will help safeguard the returns on your investment.
Carney Roofing Company has been providing professional roofing services, including single ply roofing replacement services, to local residents since 1962. To request a free estimate, you can call us at (936) 569-8241 or leave us a message on this form. We serve homeowners in Longview, TX, as well as the surrounding communities.